Bayer Built Woodworks has be pre-hanging doors since 1982. Our initial offering of interior doors has grown over the years to include hundreds of interior and exterior options as well as complimentary millwork packages. Doors have a very long history and have changed much over time, here are some things that you might not know…
- The most ancient doors known date back to ancient Egypt. Doors were simple then and were primarily a slab of wood with hinges.
- In the United States, residential exterior doors are usually 36” wide by 80” tall, interior doors are usually 30” wide by 80” tall.
- Philosophically the door symbolizes hope, opportunity, communication, and liberation.
- Oak is traditionally the most popular wood used in homes.
- The world’s largest doors – there are four of them – belong to NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building. They measure 456 tall (and take 45 minutes to open or close completely).
- No 10 Downing Street (above), the official residence of the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister, is thought to be one of the world’s most photographed doorways