Is your home energy efficient? Energy efficiency in your home will help increase value, make your home more comfortable, and reduce consumption costs. Here are 5 signs your home may need an energy efficiency makeover:
1. High Energy Bills: Install energy efficient doors, windows, and appliances (especially heating and cooling equipment).
2. Mold, Mildew and Odors: This can cause wood rot, peeling paint and eventually structural damage and health problems. Check your humidity – along with your heating and cooling equipment, make sure that everything is the appropriate size and correctly installed.
3. Dust: Increased dust means it’s time to change your air filter and check your ductwork.
4. Moisture on Windows: Leaky windows can lead to condensation build up, frost and pools of water. Check windows and replace if needed to prevent excessive heating/cooling costs.
5. Hot or Cold Rooms: Heating or cooling inconsistencies in your home could be the result of inadequate insulation, air leakage, faulty ducts, and/or an improperly installed heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system. Check of each of these to ensure that you are spending unnecessarily on energy bills.