By: Jill Wuertz, Product Manager
The “grand reveal” is a pivotal part of every successful home make-over television show. There are emotions, the quick views of before and after photos, and the glory of a completed project. The reality however of any project is often more difficult. The behind the scene footage is far less glamorous. There are delays, frustrations, product mishaps, missing tools…
Consider the below tips for helping your home project get to the “grand reveal” stage:
- Take pleasure in the small milestones of your large project. Home projects are usually large and always thinking about the big picture or all the other tasks that need to be completed can be daunting. Enjoy your progress. Good work on the tile backsplash! Nice job on the crown moulding!
- Stay on task. Finish one part of your project before moving onto the next.
- Commit to your choices. Changes or special requests with your product often mean longer lead times and delayed progress.
- Get help. Set aside the pride of doing it yourself in order to get the project done.
- Choose quality products. Time spent making inferior products work for your project is wasteful. If you want it to last you may need to spend a little more time or money on a quality product.
- Set realistic deadlines. No one will win if you decide to replace all the millwork in your living room or remodel the kitchen a week before your big Thanksgiving dinner.
- Moving on. Don’t get hung up on a part of a project that didn’t work out the way you envisioned. Appreciate the result and move on to the next part.
You probably won’t have a “grand reveal” complete with cocktails and a television crew, but the joy of completing a home project is an exceptional feeling. Good luck (and be sure to have some fun with it)!